Wednesday, April 18, 2012

15. play dominoes with dirty old men (31x31)


This weekend, Cara and I had some major accomplishments: we breathed and absorbed Vitamin D. After abandoning the idea of riding my bike or going on a run Saturday morning, I drove into DC and spent the day outside with one of the best besties a girl could ever ask for. We walked to Dupont Circle after brunch at Annie's Paramount, and after stopping into Kramer's Bookshop to look for a book on living in our future. We brought dominoes to the park with the intention of joining anyone else who happened to be playing. There were only chess players at the tables so we started our own game. It was a beautiful day, 80 degrees, sun shining. I put on sun screen not for the first time this season, so lucky for this amazing weather!

Cara taught me how to play dominoes last fall and winter in preparation for a trip to a nursing home so we could play with some dirty old men. Never made it to the home, however, there were plenty of old men around Dupont AND one of them in particular was pretty dirty. He was very concerned for Cara's dominoes getting dirty and that my phone was going to get pollen on it if it were left out in the open. We needed to have the phone out and playing music though to distract from the music man singing (like a cat in heat) by the fountain. At one point further into the game (when Cara was soundly beating me) a gentleman came over and watched us play for a few rounds. He gave me some pointers and was very kind.

In the end,I only lost by 15 points, mainly because I figured out how to read Cara's hand via her sunglasses... it's fine, I told her I was cheating.

We wandered away from the circle to Dolcezza for gelatto and into Looped for the Metro Yarn Crawl where we learned we were quite exhausted from all the breathing and sunning and so went back to her place to knit for a few hours. yeah, hard-knock life, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment