Wednesday, December 19, 2012

9. re-enact a scene from the Miracle on 34th Street (32x32)



Initially, I wanted to re-enact the fountain scene from the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, because it is the most memorable to me. However, in the spirit of the season, and because I came to NYC on a Monday when the Metropolitan Museum of Art is closed, and because Alley has a book of 1,000 Things To Do in New York Before You Die, we decided to re-enact the waiting in line to see Santa at Cole(thinly veiled "Macy")'s scene from The Miracle on 34th Street by Valentine Davies.



I remember my mom reading from the edition illustrated by Tomie dePaola and I remember watching the Natalie Woods black and white version in the days leading up to Christmas.



To be honest, if I were a little less shy, I may have explained to Santa (after only a 30 minute wait in line... which is a miracle in and of itself) that I have a 32x32 list and that coming to see him was part of my wish list. But I got flustered. Alley asked him for a kiss and I asked him for some trainers. wtf. I should have tugged on his beard. I should have made Alley speak in Swedish to see if he could speak Swedish. Or I could have used sign language like in the book to prove that he really was Santa. In the end, I got the proof: the trainers which I couldn't find at the specialty running shoe store in Connecticut in the shoe department. Wish fulfilled!






No comments:

Post a Comment