Friday, February 8, 2013

8. three blind dates (32x32)





what constitutes a "blind date"? Obviously, it is not a dried fruit with visual impairments. Does meeting someone on OKCupid count as a blind date? In a world of marketing brilliance where an algorithm can predict your relationship-match-based-happiness with more accuracy than a yenta, the art of the blind date has been lost. Mart, my yenta, told me that in the 80s they used to have singles parties (she's big into themed parties anyways) where single friends invite other single friends. That way, you make sure that there is some amount of friend-incest so that you don't lose the friend when they get married. Makes sense. These things don't happen anymore.

For this item I nudged friends to set me up with their friends, and they've all kind of fallen flat. Maybe I'm not that great of a catch and my friends have been lying to me, like in "He's Just Not That Into You". I've considered submitting an application to DateLab with the Washington Post. But the easiest thing to do is to create a profile on an online dating site and answer honestly and muddle through.

In the past year I have seriously dated three guys, two of whom I met on OKCupid. I went on one date that just fizzled out afterwards. I've emailed with countless others, and ignored even more. Not to toot my horn, just saying that well, I don't respond to everyone.

I think meeting a stranger from OKCupid should count as a blind date. Even if you've emailed for weeks, texted, sexted; until you can see the 90% of communication that happens on someone's face, you're blind to who they are.

Blind date #1: International Yarn Bomb day, my date came with me to put a sweater on the Joan of Arc statue in Malcom X Park.



Blind date #2: Walk along the Potomac River sharing a bag of Five Guys fries.

Blind date #3: Banangrams and coffee, where I used the word "catheter" and lost because I misspelled "kinetics"



No comments:

Post a Comment