Wednesday, November 4, 2015

4. get married (40x40)

"I asked for a car, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign?"

Well, at the beginning of last year, I was set to start a new blog called Spinster Is the New Black, and three months later knew that I had found my "it." Apparently, I'll never be a bridesmaid, but I'll be a bride. Go figure.

Jason and I went to Connecticut in July 2014 so he could ask my father for permission for my hand in marriage (because I thought my dad would be tickled by it, since he asked Mart's 75 year-old dad when they got married at the ripe age of 50ish). The way my dad tells it, Jason asked and in his head my dad said, "hell yes!" What actually came out was a more tempered, "yes." Originally, Jason was going to wake me up before dawn and we'd walk down to the beach where he would propose... but it was raining. Next, he thought he could propose on the elevated gardens by the Port Authority in Manhattan... but it was ridiculously crowded on a Sunday afternoon. Finally, when we got back to Baltimore we were starving and went to our favorite diner, Paper Moon, and he proposed on the porch with the most beautiful ring and love in his eyes and it felt perfect. Now, whenever we go there, I remember when everything slowed to a sparkling moment.

then came the particulars.

Neither of us really liked the idea of a big wedding where we wouldn't get a chance to hang out with any of our guests so we decided to break it up into four parties: one for friends and family in New York, one for friends and family in Connecticut, one for family in DC, and the last for friends in DC. the actual wedding was a small courthouse affair with only our immediate family in Annapolis. We of course came to this decision by drawing up a list of pros and cons and deliberating over it for a month.

in the end, this was the moment that really mattered: 

Lovely vows  lovely reception.
Posted by Denise Lyons on Saturday, December 20, 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment