Friday, February 3, 2012

21. make garden needles (32x32)

First, find some great big sticks from which you will make your needles. I found mine on the side of 95South in the small wonderful.


Then shave off all the bark and things that yarn would catch. I tried to use a planer for this task, ended up bruising my hand something heinous.


After abandoning my tools for Daddy's more extensive set of chisels, I managed to chisel off all of the little knots and bumps on the sticks. There were still lots of splinters and rough wood so I thought I'd try to use the table sander for the job.


Shop chic: ear protections, eye protection.

Bonus of the wood shop: a ventilation system to suck the dusty air outside, a room-wide vacuum machine hooked up to the radial arm saw, table sander, and band saw (fucking brilliant)

In the following picture, from left to right, you can see the progression of work. The first needle was finished with a planer, the second with the chisels, the third with the band saw and the table sander. This method turned out very well. The first one I did was with a piece of drift wood collect from the Fenwick marsh, but there was only enough wood for one needle. The second time around, I tried using some pine driftwood, which was breaking apart too easily. The third time was charmed. The driftwood was most likely from a poplar tree.




Luckily, I was able to spare the natural knob at the base of the needle. They ended being about four feet long and about an inch and a half in diameter.




How to tell if you are a carpenter's daughter:
1. Your snot looks like this

2. it's not coke, just sawdust, I swear!

3. you can take a nic and keep on ticking.
4. your modus operandi is trial and error, that way you get to use as many tools as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment