Friday, February 10, 2012

29. knit a blanket with +10 strands of yarn (32x32)


This item was initiated sometime last spring when I saw a youtube video of some ladies knitting with 1000 strands of yarn:

This led to watching a video on garden knitting:


which inspired a way to "knit all the things" which was the first item on my list of 31 x 31. Unfortunately, I got more yarn as gifts so, have been unable to use up my stash completely, which was the goal. This project put a SERIOUS dent in the stash though.

I wound the yarn for this project the first time sometime in the Spring of 2011.





Then, I found projects which I needed some of the yarn I had already wound, so I deconstructed the garden yarn...


in the process pulling a Lillputian move on Cara's cat, Tea Bags.


I used some of the grey and black and olive for the Millennium Falcon baby blanket. Then I actually finished the sea needles for the project at my dad's work shop. When I brought them home, I readied the yarn again, using the same method as before.



After knitting with the yarn though, I think a better method would have been to not wrap them all together, but to keep the skeins seperated in their boxes and to pull directly from the skeins. It added a lot of extra work AND the tension wasn't uniform throughout so I had to interrupt the strands by cutting and reconnecting them.

Cast on:


A few rows into it:


After one night!





All done after finishing the Sherlock series, the Downton Abbey Series, and a few episodes into Psych. This project went very quickly! And now off to Sandy & Michael's place up in the Small Wonderful, after they were so kind to watch Clawdia with such care last year.

1 comment:

  1. That is pretty incredible, though my hands hurt a little just watching you knit with those monsters!

    ReplyDelete