Thursday, July 24, 2014

32. be at ease (33x33)



I experienced and practiced metta meditation at my first against the stream retreat in August 2012.

...and bawled my eyes out.

the practice is to feel caring and well-being for all sentient beings, yourself included. There's no wrong way to sit and focus your good on the universe. there are a few guided metta meditations. this one is from refuge recovery

Another, that I like to read, is:
Let me be able, upright, and straight forward, of good speech, gentle, and free from pride.

Let me be contented, easily satisfied, have few duties, living simply, of controlled senses, prudent, without pride and without attachment to nation, race, or other groups.

Let me not do the slightest thing for which the wise might rebuke me.

Instead let me think:
"May all beings be well and safe, may they be at ease.
Whatever living beings there may be, whether moving or standing still, without exception, whether large or small, whether tiny or substantial.
Whether seen or unseen,
Whether living near or far,
Born or unborn, may all beings be happy.
Let none deceive or despise another anywhere. Let none wish harm to another in anger or hate."

Just as a mother would guard her child, with her own life, even so let me cultivate a boundless mind for all beings in the world.

Let me cultivate a boundless love for all beings in the world, above, below, and across, unhindered, without ill or enmity.

Standing, walking, seated, or lying down, free from torpor, let me as far as possible fix my attention on this recollection.

This, they say, is the divine life right here.

practicing this meditation for the past few years has helped me to be at ease. even when I'm uncomfortable, I can be at ease. like in yoga, I can be thirsty and at ease about it without having to do anything to relieve the thirst. what does thirst feel like? where is it in the body? what happens to the muscles when they require more water? In the same vein (pun intended, wait for it), being at ease means trusting the body and listening to the signals that say, drink some water! I'm going to stop working if you don't add water to your blood stream!


No comments:

Post a Comment