Sunday, September 19, 2010

19. ride a bike to my mom's house and back in one day



Unfortunately, this goal was tweaked a little because I moved in with my mom when I got a job that has me commuting north for four days out of the week. Makes DC rent a fairly ridiculous prospect.

Instead, it was decided that a ride from the Palisades to the Billy Goat trail would suffice. My buddy Matt is the same height as me, and lovely for me, he volunteered to help me in this endeavor way the hell back in January. He probably forgot about it, but I did not. The plan was to meet at 10am and then have a lil bit of coffee, fit the bike seat, and start riding. Once to the Billy Goat Trail we'd hike out to the Potomac and have some lunch and a lil swimming. Then, we'd hike back to the road and ride back to where we started.

p.s. :



All well and good, until I slept through my alarm and the bridge from Arlington to the Palisades (the most direct route) was closed. Driving out the GW Parkway and up 495 to the Clara Barton Parkway, I arrived to the meet about 45 minutes late. Got some food and water, tested out the bike and off we went!



Although the route mileage was not equivalent between the first plan (20.8mi) and the second (17.2mi), I think the added hike and swimming was compensation enough. It was such a wonderful DC day. Perfect weather. I even got a little sun across my nose.





While having a swim and lunch, we saw a blue heron and lots of little fish who nibbled on toes and fingers and legs and scabs; as well as a Northern Water Snake.







and this is me after the ride, holding my bits because they hurt. It was really an awesome day though. Now, I want a bike so that I can go fast like all the other people who were passing us. Bikes are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment