Friday, September 10, 2010

5. Go Sky-diving




We went out to Ocean City, Maryland for the jump. After nearly throwing a temper tantrum because I had not had breakfast, Jason and I went and got breakfast sandwiches and some coffee ... early enough that they would not come back to haunt us. After not reading any of the waivers, but signing and initialing everything that had to be initialed, Jason and I were the second pair to jump. I was only slightly disappointed that Jason had not made a mix for the occasion, usually, he's all over those sorts of details. Instead we were made to sit through Foo Fighters' "looking for the sky to save me" song on repeat.

Well hello ruggedly handsome man who I will be strapped to while hurtling through the atmosphere (up where the air is clear, oh let's go fly a kite). Is that a camera attached to your wrist? So this entire experience will be recorded? I did not sign anywhere saying that I would not drop the 'f' bomb on this excursion.

We flew over Chincoteague Island and Rugged Man pointed out the ponies in a field. We flew over the Atlantic Ocean. We flew up and up and into the clouds 12,000 feet. He said I wasn't to put my feet on the bar but to just aim my feet straight down, and then he pushed us out of the plane. I closed my eyes and was scared for about 3 seconds. And then I opened my eyes and was scared for another 3 seconds. And then he tapped me on the shoulder and made a thumbs up sign and gave me a high five and we continued the decent. It made my ears pop. I was worried my shoes were going to fly off and hit someone on the earth, in the head, or perhaps make for a close call. He handed me the yellow strap to hold and pull down to my right hip and down we spiraled as he told me to look at the horizon. I almost got too dizzy. And then I told him I was very concerned with helicopters and I saw there was a hospital across the highway from the airport and asked him to be especially vigilant against flying into those deadly rotor blades. and then we landed.

We survived. Jason made it down too in one piece. A huge thanks to Jason and his buddies for putting together a trip of 14 people for sky-diving.

No comments:

Post a Comment